Staff Flight Instructor (Full Time)
Are you a flight instructor looking to join the best flight school in the country? San Carlos Flight Center is always looking for safe, enthusiastic, and effective flight instructors. You may also be interested in our CFI Finishing School to improve your instructor skills.
The Flight Center is different from other flight schools or flying clubs in a number of ways.
We have a strong flying club feel and a great sense of community. We have many events each month, both training and social. We are a Part 61 school that believes in a strong, thorough syllabus that includes many enhanced training experiences (e.g., tower tours, social dinner flights, etc.). We believe in turning out highly competent pilots who had a great time learning to fly.
Characteristics of CFIs that excel at SCFC include:
– Easy to work with, good personality, professional in look and demeanor
– Extremely knowledgeable about the aircraft systems, POHs, operating characteristics, regulations, etc.
– Highly competent ground instructors who can explain complex concepts simply
– Passionate flight instructors who hold students to incredibly high standards
– Good public speakers who can deliver dynamic safety seminars, and participate in other club events
– Looking for a place to call home for the next year or two.
Note: We don’t have a minimum hours requirement. Our hiring minimums are tied to knowledge, skills, and personality. New CFIs are welcome to apply, but we expect you to have deep knowledge and excellent airplane handling skills.
Our CFI hiring process has four phases.
1 – Exchange of Info
Complete our online Staff CFI job application. Along with the application, submit a short (5-8 minutes) video of you teaching one of the following Private Pilot ground topics:
– Left-turning tendencies
– Induced drag
– Design maneuvering speed VA
2 – Ground Knowledge Interview
Select applicants are invited to a Ground Knowledge Interview with a member of our Chief Pilot team. This can be in person or via Zoom. We will test your ground knowledge, your approach to teaching, and your ability to learn new material as it is presented to you during the Interview.
3 – Flight Test
Applicants who pass the Ground Knowledge Interview are invited to complete a flight skills evaluation flight with us. We test your flight skills. In particular, we expect our instructors to have excellent rudder coordination skills and complete mastery of the aircraft during takeoff and landing.
4 – New Hire Onboarding and Training (4 weeks)
New hires begin a paid 4-week onboarding program that covers SCFC teaching methodologies, SCFC’s Private Pilot syllabus, local airspace familiarization, business policies/procedures, and fleet checkouts. Instructors are evaluated regularly to confirm that they are competent in our teaching methodologies and club knowledge. After the end of this probationary period, CFI candidates must also demonstrate a minimum flight competency: one perfect takeoff, one perfect landing, and coordinated use of rudders. Successful new hires that meet all these criteria complete their probationary period, join the staff as full employees and are assigned students.
Important Dates for March 2024 CFI Hiring
January 21 – CFI Information Session (4:00 pm)
February 5 – CFI teaching videos due
February 12th through 16th – CFI ground interviews
February 19th through February 23rd – CFI flight interviews and job offers
March 4 – CFI Start Date
- FAA Commercial Pilot Certificate
- FAA Flight Instructor Certificate
- FAA Medical Certificate
- Competency in Google Docs, Slides, and Sheets
- Professional attitude and demeanor
- Able to live and work in the United States
- Able to commute to San Carlos for work 5 days a week
- $40-60/hour (depending on flight instruction experience)
- Kaiser health care contribution
- Enrollment in company 401(k) plan
- Paid vacation
- Discounts on flight training and aircraft rental
- Annual flight credit
San Carlos Flight Center is an equal opportunity employer.