Flight Instructor Jobs at SCFC
Are you a flight instructor looking to join the best flight school in the country? San Carlos Flight Center is always looking for safe, enthusiastic, and effective flight instructors.
The Flight Center is different from other flight schools or flying clubs in a number of ways.
We have a strong flying club feel and a great sense of community. We have many events each month, both training and social. We are a Part 61 school that believes in a strong, thorough syllabus that includes many enhanced training experiences (e.g., tower tours, social dinner flights, etc.). We believe in turning out highly competent pilots who had a great time learning to fly.
Characteristics of CFIs that excel at SCFC include:
– Easy to work with, good personality, professional in look and demeanor
– Extremely knowledgeable about the aircraft systems, POHs, operating characteristics, regulations, etc.
– Highly competent ground instructors who can explain complex concepts simply
– Passionate flight instructors who hold students to incredibly high standards
– Good public speakers who can deliver dynamic safety seminars, and participate in other club events
– Looking for a place to call home for the next year or two.
Note: We don’t have a minimum hours requirement. Our hiring minimums are tied to knowledge, skills, and personality. New CFIs are welcome to apply, but we expect you to have deep knowledge and excellent airplane handling skills.
Our CFI hiring process has three phases.
1 – Exchange of Info
Send us your resume and cover letter. Tell us why you fly and what your goal for your time here would be. We follow-up via email or in person to answer any questions you have about the position.
2 – Ground Knowledge Interview
Schedule a Ground Knowledge interview session with Chief Pilot (in person or FaceTime). This is where we test your ground knowledge, your approach to teaching, and ability to learn new material. We may ask you to teach us a ground school topic, or just to respond to questions about some of the harder ground concepts from Private Pilot training.
3 – Flight Test
A Flight Skills evaluation flight with Chief Pilot and/or other SCFC CFIs. This is where we test your flying ability. In particular, we expect our instructors to have excellent rudder coordination skills and complete mastery of the aircraft during the landing flare.